Transfer of Post-9/11 GI Bill Benefits Deadline Upcoming

  • Published

Previously there were no restrictions on when a service member could transfer educational benefits to their family members, provided they could obtain retainability. In July 2018, the Department of Defense made a change that states in part “eligibility to transfer those [Post-9/11 GI Bill] benefits will be limited to service members with less than 16 years of total service (active duty service and/or selected reserves as applicable)”.

Effective Jan. 12, 2020, any service member with more than 16 years of service will not be eligible to transfer Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to their family members. From now until Jan. 11, 2020, if you have more than 6 years of service, have 4 years retainability or are able to extend or reenlist to obtain retainability, you are likely eligible to transfer your Post-9/11 GI Bill benefits to a qualified family member. To submit a TEB request, please contact the McChord Field Education Center via email at or walk in to Bldg. 851, third floor, Tuesday through Thursday, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m., or submit online using the following TEB Instructions.

  1. Using your Common Access Card (CAC) or Defense Finance and Accounting Service (DFAS) pin, log onto the DOD Transferability of Education Benefits (TEB) webpage,
    1. Under the "I want to" section, click the "Transfer my education benefits" link.
    2. Click the "DS Logon, CAC or DFAS" button and login. Note: If working from a non-government computer, you may have to create a DS Logon password by following the links and instruction son the right side of the page.
    3. Acknowledge the Self-Service Consent to Monitor page by clicking the "OK" button
  2. You should now be on the Transfer of Education Benefits page. All family members eligible for benefits under DEERS should be shown. If a dependent's name is grayed out or the "yes" button doesn't work, it means that the member is not eligible for DEERS benefits and this is not eligible to receive transferred benefits. Check with your MPS regarding errors
  3. Before editing your family member status, click the "Post-9/11 GI Bill, Chapter 33" button above the family member names.
  4. Edit the number of months you with to transfer to each family member. Note: You do not need to enter a begin date or end date unless you wish to limit the members's benefit to a specific period of time. Otherwise, all limits will be by law.
  5. Once you've added your family members, read and click each block under the Transferability of Education Benefits Acknowledgements section to indicate you've read and understand each statement on the transfer request page.
  6. After you have confirmed that all information is accurate and all blocks/buttons are checked, click the "Submit Request" block under your dependents names.
  7. To confirm that your TEB request has been submitted, look in the upper left corner and you should see your name, rank and status "Submitted". The date of status should be blank. Print this page for your records!
  8. In 3-5 days you will receive both a MyPers message and an email notification from the Total Force Service Center (TFSC). This notification will inform you of your eligibility and specific instructions to complete the requirements for TEB application approval, to include the Statement of Understanding (SOU) on the vMPF website.
    1. If you already have the necessary retainability, you will see a link to the SOU. Digitally sign and submit the SOU.
    2. If you do not have sufficient retainability, the page will indicate "Ineligibility" and the SOU link will not be available. Carefully read the entire paragraph and follow the instructions. Print the message and take it with you to the MPS to obtain the necessary retainability. Reenlistment or extension actions must be completed within 30 days of message/email receipt or your request for TEB will be denied!
  9. Once the required retainability has been established and the SOU has been signed, allow the TFSC three duty days to update your status on the TEB website. Check the TEB website by following the instructions in Step 1. The status of your request should be "Request Approved" and the date of status will be the date you submitted your request. The TEB site will automatically transfer the data to the VA.
  10. If for any reason the TEB request is disapproved or you do not understand the current status of your TED request DO NOT submit an additional TEB request. Immediately visit the McChord Field Education Center in Bldg. 851 or email for assistance.
  11. Once your TEB request is approved, your family member must submit a request for a Certificate of Eligibility (CoE) to the VA at least three months prior to using their transferred benefit. Submit the dependent request by using VA Form 22-1990e via the VA website, Under "Ready to Apply", click "Select Correct Form" and follow the prompts.
  12. After receiving the CoE from the VA, family members must provide the COE to the school. WARNING: Some colleges and universities will allow students to start classes prior to receipt of the VA Certificate of Eligibility. This is a dangerous practice. Students that do not have an approved CoE from the VA prior to starting school could be responsible for all tuition and fees in the even the TEB request was disapproved or VA eligibility cannot be confirmed.
  13. If the family member has not received the CoE from the VA when they enroll in school, they should ask the VA certifying official at the school to submit an enrollment certification to the VA for that academic term.
  14. Tuition funds and mandatory fees will be sent directly from the VA to the school. Children using transferred benefits will receive the monthly living stipend and the books and supplies stipend. Spouses using transferred benefits will not receive the monthly living stipend until after the member separates from active duty.

    If at any time you have questions or need help, contact the McChord Field Education Center via email at or walk in to Bldg. 851, third floor, Tuesday through Thursday, 9 a.m. - 3 p.m.