Frequently Asked Questions (FAQ's)

Collapse All Expand All
 I have questions about applying for my Retirement Pay, where do I start?

You can find answers at the Air Reserve Personnel Center

Still Need Help: 

If you have a myPers ( account you can create a ticket to ask questions or check on a ticket status. You can also use myPers to update your address.

If you do not yet have a myPers account please create an account. If you are unable to create an account or otherwise experience technical difficulties, please contact the Total Force Service Center at 800-525-0102. 

 How can I get an official photo?

We currently are not able to take official photos at this location, but hope to be able to soon.

The only options are to schedule an appointment with the Enterprise Media Center at JBLM Main Monday-Friday,  If they are not available, you may also schedule an appointment with the 62nd Public Affairs office at Building 100,(253) 982-5638.  The 62nd PA is not open for appointments during UTA weekends.

 How can I request a unit photo?

Please fill out the AF 833 form.

Please allow us time to work out a good time for our staff and your unit. It may take a few months to coordinate, depending on your and our mission priorities.

 How can I join the Air Force Reserve or ask questions about joining?

Information about joining the Air Force Reserves can be found online: To talk with a recruiter call 253-982-3501 or 800-257-1212.

 How can I visit JBLM?

Joint Base Lewis-McChord is a controlled access installation. Vehicles with an adult, authorized Department of Defense ID cardholder (ages 18 or older) with an ID card listed on the DOD-ISSUED ID CARDS website may enter JBLM through any open gate. Vehicles without an adult, authorized DOD ID cardholder (18 or older) present must report to the Visitor Control Center adjacent to either Lewis Main Liberty Gate (I-5 exit 120) or McChord Field Main Gate (I-5 exit 125) to receive a temporary pass. To do this you must have a valid driver's license, vehicle registration, proof of insurance and have an adult, authorized DOD sponsor (18 or older) willing to sponsor your base access. Sponsors must be available by phone to complete the pass issuance process.

Don't be intimidated by the access procedures. These security measures are intended to keep all of JBLM safe. For directions to JBLM, click HERE.

The McChord Field Visitor Control Center is located on exit 125 off of I-5 near McChord Field Gate and is open from 6 a.m. to 7:30 p.m. daily. In addition to providing passes for non-affiliated visitors to JBLM, the VCC also conducts Automated Installation Entry Registration, weapons registration and vehicle registration. During the hours that the VCC is closed, visitors should proceed to McChord Field Gate for processing.

For more information about visiting JBLM and valid forms of ID, visit the following webpage:

 How can I request a guest speaker?

Fill out a Support Request Form, DD Form 2536, and submit it to If you are not contacted about your request within 3 business days, call 253-982-3330.

The military belongs to the American people. Common ownership dictates Department of Defense resources be committed to supporting events and activities of mutual interest and benefit. However, limitations of time and money make it impossible to grant all requests. DoD and its subordinate agencies cannot do for one what it cannot do for all.

DoD policy prohibits:

  • Endorsing and or appearing to endorse a specific organization, product, or commercial service.
  • Using military resources when such assets are reasonably available from commercial sources and where such support would be, in fact, perceived as unfair competition.
  • Using military resources or personnel to increase sales, business traffic, or attendance, such as grand openings.
  • Using personnel outside military bases to act as guards, parking lot attendants, runners, messengers, or baggage handlers.
  • Active-duty military participation in fundraising activities, excluding the Combined Federal Campaign and military relief societies.

Additional policies and guidelines may apply.

Please be aware, even though a request may be approved, the support can be canceled at any time in order to meet military mission requirements.

 How can I get a copy of my past military service records?

Military records are archived shortly after a service member leaves the military. You may be able to request a copy of your service records through the National Archives.

 How can I verify employment?

NOTE TO HIRING OFFICIALS: A DD 214 is an official document of past military service.  A SF 50 is an official document of civil service.

The potential employee is responsible for providing correct information about their previous employment. 

The official way current Air Force Civilian employees can verify employment is to log onto the MyBiz+ website and request an Employment Verification to be sent to a designated recipient via email.  

To verify past employment Air Force Civilian employees can use the latest SF 50. 

Service members currently serving can show proof with their Leave and Earning Statement (LES).  For more information visit the following webpage:

 How can I request a flyover or aircraft static display?

To request an Air Force aircraft, visit the following website to submit a request:

NOTE: The 446th AW may support requests approved by the Secretary of the Air Force Public Affairs office, however units determine their ability to support a request.

To request Army aircraft, visit the following webpage and follow their instructions:

 How can I request a color guard to participate in my event?

Since our unit is a Reserve unit, we do not have enough full-time employees to support these types of requests. 

There are other ways to request a color guard to possibly support an event. 

For an Air Force color guard, visit the following webpage and follow their instructions:

For an Army color guard, visit the following webpage and follow their instructions:

NOTE: Please be aware, although a request may be approved, the support may be called off at any time, if other top priorities come up at the last second. Examples are military or veteran funerals or memorials.

 When is the next airshow?

For more information, contact the JBLM Public Affairs office at 253-967-0148 or

 How can I make a noise complaint?

More information can be found at the JBLM website. Comments about noise or other disturbances may be directed to the JBLM Public Affairs hotline at 253-967-0852.

 How can I request a band?

JBLM is home to the 56th Army Band.  For an Army Band performance request, visit the following webpage and follow their instructions:

 How can I request an Air Force band?

For an Air Force Band performance request, visit the following webpage and follow their instructions:  More information about Air Force bands is at the following website:

 I’m a Reservist about to deploy, who can I talk to about how to approach my employer?

Employer Support of the Guard and Reserve (ESGR) is a Department of Defense program that develops and promotes supportive work environments for Service members in the Reserve Components through outreach, recognition, and educational opportunities that increase awareness of applicable laws.  It also provides assistance in resolving conflicts between the Service members and their employers.

Contact ESGR at 1-800-336-4590 or to get advice about how to talk to an employer. They have specially-trained ombudsmen available to assist members in resolving issues with their civilian employers related to military service through neutral and impartial mediation.

 How can I submit a FOIA request?

Public Law 5 U.S.C. 552 enacted the Freedom of Information Act. It established statutory rights of access to government information. It generally provides that any person has a right, enforceable in court, of access to federal agency records, except to the extent that such records (or portions thereof) are protected from disclosure by one of nine exemptions or one of three special law enforcement record exclusions. See DoD 5400.7-AFMAN 33-302, dated 21 Oct 2010, DoD Freedom of Information Act Program, the prescribing directive for more information. It is important to remember that the Freedom of Information Act applies only to records held by federal agencies. It does not create a right of access to records held by Congress, the courts, state or local government agencies, or by private businesses or individuals. Each state has its own public access laws that should be consulted for access to state and local records.

Members of the public, including foreign citizens, military and civilian personnel acting as private citizens, organizations and businesses, and individual members of the Congress for themselves or constituents, may request records in writing. Government employees submitting requests should not use government equipment, supplies, stationery, postage, telephones, or official mail channels to make FOIA requests.

FOIA requests for the 446th Airlift Wing, McChord Field, JBLM, must be submitted in writing and include a title or reasonable description of the desired records and a statement on willingness to pay fees for search, review, and reproduction. Or submit a request via mail, fax, or hand carry to the following address:

1205 12th St NE
JBLM, WA 98438

 PHONE: (253) 982-1011

Sample FOIA Request Letter

COMPANY NAME (If Applicable)
FAX NUMBER: (If Applicable)

1205 12th St NE
JBLM, WA 98438

(Date of Request)

Dear FOIA Officer: Under the Freedom of Information Act (FOIA), I request (Identify the required documents or information as specifically as possible to include all possible locations, if known).

I am willing to pay all required fees incurred in providing this information. I am willing to pay required fees for this information up to a maximum of $(Amount). If fees exceed this amount, please obtain payment approval prior to incurring the debt or providing the information.

I declare under penalty of perjury that the foregoing is true and correct. Executed on (DATE).



AUTHORITY: 10 U.S.C. 8013 and 5 U.S.C. 552 PURPOSE: To obtain necessary information so that a response can be provided to a FOIA request. ROUTINE USE: A request may be referred to another Federal Agency if the record(s) originated with that agency. DISCLOSURE: Voluntary; However, no reply can be given if the requested information is not furnished.


For FOIA requests for the Army, visit the following webpage for more information:

If you can't find the answer to your question, email us at