COLONEL BRUCE K. NEELY
Colonel (Dr.) Bruce K. Neely is the Commander of the 446th Aerospace Medicine Squadron at McChord Field, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash. He is responsible for overseeing the flight surgeons, dentists, medical technicians, and other medical professionals supporting the aerospace medicine requirements of the Airmen assigned to the 446th Airlift Wing who provide air mobility sustainment worldwide.
Colonel Neely was commissioned as a captain in the U.S. Air Force through direct commission in 1998. He has held numerous positions within the 446th Aerospace Medicine Squadron. In 2003, he became the first 446th Airlift Wing flight surgeon to log combat hours in support of Operation Enduring Freedom and Operation Iraqi Freedom, and was named Air Force Reserve Command Flight Surgeon of the Year for his contributions to improving flight safety and crew rest conditions for the entire airlift community. He has served as a member of the Medical Corps Development Team providing mentoring and career guidance for Reserve physicians. In 2014, he was instrumental in the development and implementation of medical screening processes for aircrew returning from Ebola response missions in West Africa.
1988 Bachelor of Science degree in biology (Cum Laude), University of Washington
1992 Doctor of Medicine, University of Washington
1995 Residency in emergency medicine, Ohio State University, Columbus, Ohio
1999 Aerospace Medicine Primary, Brooks Air Force Base, San Antonio, Texas
2000 Squadron Officer School, Correspondence
2004 Air Command and Staff College, Correspondence
2007 Air War College, Correspondence
1. September 1998 - November 1999, physician, 446th Aerospace Medicine Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
2. November 1999 - October 2003, aerospace medicine physician, 446 AMDS, McChord AFB, Wash.
3. October 2003 - May 2004, Officer in Charge, Physical Exams, 446th AMDS, McChord AFB, Wash.
4. May 2004 - August 2009, Chief of Physical Exam Standards, 446th AMDS, McChord AFB, Wash.
5. August 2009 - November 2015, Chief of Aerospace Medicine, 446th AMDS, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
6. November 2015 - July 2018, Commander, 446th Aeromedical Staging Squadron, JBLM, Wash.
7. July 2018 - present, Commander, 446th Aerospace Medicine Squadron, JBLM, Wash.
Rating: chief flight surgeon
Flight hours: Over 440
Aircraft flown: C-141B, C-17A
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal
Meritorious Unit Award with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Air Force Longevity Service with three oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Captain Sept. 6, 1998
Major June 2, 2000
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 30, 2004
Colonel April 1, 2008
(Current as of January 2019)