Colonel Ray Luevanos is the commander of the 446th Mission Support Group, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash. As commander, he is responsible for organizing, training, and equipping nearly 700 reservists and civilians assigned to the group. The 446th Mission Support Group is made up of five squadrons and one flight including the 446th Civil Engineer Squadron, 446th Force Support Squadron, 446th Security Forces Squadron, 36th Aerial Port Squadron, 86th Aerial Port Squadron, and 446th Logistics Readiness Flight.
Colonel Luevanos was commissioned in 1990 as a graduate of the U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo. Since graduating, he has acquired over 2,400 hours as a C-141B navigator, instructor and evaluator. He later served on wing staff as an executive officer. In 2009, Colonel Luevanos was the operations officer of McChord’s last Tactical Airlift Control Element (TALCE) and later served as the Deputy Commander of the 446th Mission Support Group.
Prior to his current assignment, Colonel Luevanos was the Emergency Preparedness Liaison Officer (EPLO) for the State of Oregon, working for the National Security Emergency Preparedness staff, First Air Force, Tyndall Air Force, Fla. He was responsible for executing 1AF consequence management activities during presidentially declared national disaster relief operations and advising FEMA Regional Operations Center and both state and federal Homeland Security planning elements. Additionally, he assisted in the determination of logistics staging areas during national emergencies as well as coordinated airlift, search and rescue, and airborne firefighting mission assignments in support of Defense Support for Civil Authorities.
1990 Bachelor of Science degree, U.S. Air Force Academy, Colorado Springs, Colo.
1996 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala.
1998 Masters of Science degree, Chapman University, Orange, Calif.
2005 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2013 Air War College, Air University, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. June 1990 - September 1991, student, Specialized Undergraduate Navigator Training (SUNT), Mather AFB, Calif.
2. October 1991 - December 1991, student, C-141B Airland/Airdrop Qualification Course, Altus AFB, Okla.
3. December 1991 - July 1997, airdrop/lead/instructor/evaluator navigator, 36th Airlift Squadron/7 Airlift Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
4. August 1997 - June 1999, Standardization/Evaluation chief navigator, 62nd Operations Group, McChord AFB, Wash.
5. August 1999 - April 2002, instructor navigator, 313th Airlift Squadron, McChord AFB, Wash.
6. April 2002 - January 2007, wing executive officer, 446th Airlift Wing, McChord AFB, Wash.
7. January 2007 - September 2008, operations officer, 446th Tactical Airlift Control Element, McChord AFB, Wash.
8. October 2008 - May 2014, Deputy Commander, 446 Mission Support Group, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
9. June 2014 - September 2017, Emergency Preparedness Liaison Officer to the State of Oregon, National Security Emergency Preparedness, 1 Air Force, Tyndall AFB, Fla.
10. September 2017 - Present, Commander, 446th Mission Support Group, JBLM, Wash.
Rating: Senior Navigator
Flight Hours: 2,442
Aircraft flown: T-43A, T-37B, C-141B
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with four oak leaf clusters
Aerial Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Joint Service Commendation Medal
Air Force Commendation Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Achievement Medal with two oak leaf clusters
Meritorious Unit Award with two oak leaf clusters
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with three oak leaf clusters
Combat Readiness Medal with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with bronze star
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal with bronze star
Southwest Asia Service Medal with bronze star
Global War on Terrorism Expeditionary Medal
Global War on Terrorism Service Medal
Humanitarian Service Medal
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold border
Air Force Longevity Service Ribbon with four oak leaf clusters
Armed Forces Reserve Medal with 1 “M” device
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon
Air Force Training Ribbon
Kuwait Liberation Medal
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 1990
First Lieutenant May 1992
Captain May 1994
Major October 2001
Lieutenant Colonel October 2008
Colonel September 2014
(Current as of September 2017)