COLONEL JOHN D. NORTON
Colonel John D. Norton is commander of the 446th Maintenance Group, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Washington. As Group Commander, he is responsible for directing all aircraft and equipment maintenance support for three squadrons of C-17 Globemaster III aircraft as well as the quality and quantity of training for over 700 Reservists, ensuring they are prepared to perform the wing's mission in peacetime and during combat.
Enlisting in March 1983, he became a Communication/ Navigator on the C-141B, and was stationed at Norton Air Force Base, California. Transitioning to the Air Force Reserve in 1987, he joined the Aircraft Maintenance community with the 443rd Aircraft Maintenance Squadron. Commissioning in 1997, Col. Norton served as a maintenance officer on the C- 141B/C and KC-135E/R aircraft. Deploying seven times in support of Operations DELIBERATE RESOLVE, INHERENT RESOLVE, IRAQI FREEDOM and ENDURING FREEDOM, the colonel has served in a variety of roles to include squadron commander, director of maintenance, director of operations, detachment commander and chief of logistics.
Prior to his current position, Col. Norton served as an Individual Mobilization Augmentee for the Logistics Readiness Division, Tanker Airlift Control Center, Scott AFB, Illinois, he led a team of maintenance controllers in executing worldwide Air Mobility Command logistics command and control. He directed global maintenance recovery actions on all non-mission capable (NMC) aircraft flying AMC missions over the entire logistics enterprise to accelerate aircraft recoveries.
1992 Bachelor of Science, Southern Illinois University, Carbondale
2005 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell Air Force Base, Ala., by correspondence
2009 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala., by correspondence
2009 Masters of Business, Regis University, Denver, Colo.
2016 Air War College, by correspondence
1. April 1983 – December 1983, Student, Navigation Technical School, 332nd Training Squadron, Keesler Air Force Base, Miss.
2. January 1984 – March 1987, Comm/Nav Specialist, 63rd Aircraft Maintenance Squadron, Norton AFB, Calif.
3. March 1987 – April 1994, Comm/Nav Specialist, 443rd AMXS, Norton AFB, Calif.
4. April 1994 – September 1997, Comm/Nav Shop Chief, 452nd Maintenance Squadron, March ARB, Calif.
5. September 1997– May 1999, Comm/Info Management Officer, 452nd Logistics Group, March ARB, Calif.
6. May 1999 – October 2003, Aircraft Maintenance Flight Commander, 433rd AMXS, Lackland AFB, Texas
7. October 2003 – May 2009, Individual Mobilization Augmentee to Chief, Logistics Readiness Division, 618th Air Operations Center, Tanker Airlift Control Center, Scott AFB, Ill.
8. May 2009 – October 2009, Aircraft Maintenance Officer, 433rd AMXS, Lackland AFB, Texas
9. October 2009 – December 2012, Commander, 433rd Maintenance Operations Squadron Lackland AFB, Texas
10. December 2012 – January 2016, Commander, 433rd MXS, Joint Base San Antonio - Lackland, Texas
11. January 2016 – April 2017, Commander, 446th Maintenance Squadron, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
12. April 2017 – January 2020, Deputy Commander, 446th Maintenance Group, JBLM, Wash.
13. January 2020 - August 2020, IMA to 76 Commodities Maintenance Group Commander, Oklahoma City Air Logistics Complex, Tinker AFB, Okla.
14. August 2020 - Present, Commander, 446th Maintenance Group, JBLM, Wash.
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Meritorious Service Medal with five oak leaf clusters
Air Force Commendation Medal with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force Achievement Medal
Air Reserve Forces Meritorious Service Medal with two oak leaf clusters
National Defense Service Medal with device
Afghanistan Campaign Medal with device
Iraq Campaign Medal with device
Air Force Overseas Ribbon Short
Air Force Expeditionary Service Ribbon with gold border with three oak leaf clusters
Air Force NCO PME Graduate Ribbon
Small Arms Expert Marksmanship Ribbon with one device
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Airman 1st Class March 23, 1983
Senior Airman June 19, 1985
Staff Sergeant Oct. 1, 1987
Technical Sergeant March 12, 1990
Master Sergeant April 25, 1993
Second Lieutenant Sept. 18, 1997
First Lieutenant Sept. 18, 1999
Captain Sept. 12, 2002
Major March 29, 2007
Lieutenant Colonel Aug. 10, 2012
Colonel June 1, 2019
(Current as of August 2020)