446th Airlift Wing   Right Corner Banner
Join the AF Reserve

Library > History

The history of the 446th Airlift Wing dates back to World War II as the active-duty 446th Bombardment Group. The 446th Bombardment Group was activated in 1943 with squadrons at Davis-Monthan Field, Ariz.; Lowry Field, Colo.; Flixton, England; and Sioux Falls Army Air Field, S.D., before being deactivated in 1945. The 446th AW was first activated in the Air Force Reserve in 1948 as the 446th Troop Carrier Group at Carswell AFB, Texas, and then deactivated in 1951. In 1955, the 446th Troop Carrier Group was reactivated at Ellington AFB, Texas, and again deactivated in 1972. One year later the 446th was reactivated and redesignated the 446th Military Airlift Wing (Associate) at McChord. In February 1992, the wing was redesignated again, this time as the 446th Airlift Wing.
tabEmblem - What it means 
The emblem symbolically represents the Wing's primary mission. The 13 stars symbolize the spirit of the 13 original states and the people's will to oppose oppression and be free men, which is now our heritage. The large star at the top of the emblem represents the North Star and indicates the navigation effort to guide our crews in the sure completion of their mission. The other 12 stars form a box to represent the airlift and airdrop logistics effort. The unsheathed sword symbolizes the combat troop airlift and airdrop missions required in time of war and peace. The sky streak represents speed and the airlanes through which the organization can react and carry out its assigned mission. The wings and sky-blue background suggest a flying organization, while the white color represents peace, the ultimate goal. The emblem bears the Air Force colors, ultramarine blue and golden yellow.
tab446th Airlift WIng 
The heritage of the 446th Airlift Wing dates back to World War II with the Bungay Buckaroos of the 446th Bombardment Group out of Flixton, England. The bomb group is the predecessor of the present day 446th Operations Group. In 1955, the 446th AW was established as a wing at Ellington Air Force Base, Texas, just south of Houston. In 1959, the wing hosted and participated in its first RODEO and received the first place team trophy. The wing's C-119s dropped NASA Mercury capsules in the 1960s. Then in 1973, the 446th AW moved to McChord Air Force Base, Wash., and have been flying airlift, airdrop and aeromedical evacuation missions every since.  Click HERE for more indepth history.

 Inside 446AW

ima cornerSearch

tabPast Commanders

Site Map      Contact Us     Questions     USA.gov     Security and Privacy notice     E-publishing  
Suicide Prevention    SAPR   IG   EEO   Accessibility/Section 508   No FEAR Act