|COLONEL BRUCE A. BOWERS JR.|
Col. Bruce A. Bowers Jr., is commander of the 446th Airlift Wing, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash., -- Washington's only flying Air Force Reserve wing. He is responsible for the organization, training, equipage, and worldwide readiness of a combined Reserve and civilian wing of nearly 2,200 people at JBLM, McChord Field. The 446th Airlift Wing flies and supports the C-17 Globemaster III weapons system. Under Colonel Bowers' command, Air Force reservists are capable of deploying anywhere in the world, 365 days a year for training, humanitarian efforts or combat.
Colonel Bowers has served in a variety of positions during his Reserve career, including deputy director Air Space and Information Systems, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga. In that capacity he assisted in directing combat operations of Reserve units with fighter, aerial refueling, strategic and tactical airlift, aeromedical, special operations, combat rescue, weather surveillance, aerial spray, airborne fire fighting and command-and-control capability.
Following his graduation from North Carolina State University, Colonel Bowers attended the Air Force's Officer Training School at Lackland AFB, Texas, where he received his commission in May 1981.
1980 Bachelor of Science in physics, North Carolina State University
1981 Officer Training School, Lackland AFB, Texas
1982 Bachelor of Science in electrical engineering, Auburn University, Auburn, Ala.
1983 Squadron Officer School, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1986 Air Command and Staff College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
2003 Air War College, Maxwell AFB, Ala.
1. March 1981 - May 1981, student, Officer Training School, Lackland Air Force Base, Texas
2. June 1981 - December 1982, Air Force Institute of Tech, Auburn University, Auburn, Ala.
3. December 1982 - July 1985, F-15 Developmental Engineer, Warner Robins Air Logistics Center, Robins Air Force Base, Ga.
4. July 1985 - July 1986, student, undergraduate pilot training, Columbus Air Force Base, Miss.
5. July 1986 - August 1990, instructor aircraft commander C-141, 18th Military Airlift Squadron, McGuire Air Force Base, N.J.
6. August 1990 - January 1992, assistant operations officer, 20th Airlift Squadron, Yokota Air Base, Japan
7. January 1992 - January 1994, C-141 instructor aircraft commander, 756th Airlift Squadron, Andrews Air Force Base, Md.
8. January 1994 - June 1997, initial cadre C-17 flight examiner aircraft commander, 317th Airlift Squadron, Charleston Air Force Base, S.C.
9. June 1997 - June 1999, wing safety officer and C-17 flight examiner aircraft commander, 315th Airlift Wing, Charleston Air Force Base, S.C.
10. June 1999- November 2001, wing chief of standardization/evaluation and
C-17 flight examiner aircraft commander, 315th Operations Group, Charleston Air Force Base, S.C.
11. November 2001 - August 2005, operations officer, 701st Airlift Squadron, Charleston Air Force Base, S.C.
12. August 2005 - March 2006, deputy commander, 315th Operations Group, Charleston Air Force Base, S.C.
13. March 2006 - June 2008, commander, 514th Operations Group, McGuire Air Force Base, N.J.
14. June 2008-July 2011, deputy director Air Space and Information Systems, Headquarters Air Force Reserve Command, Robins AFB, Ga.
15. July 2011 - present, commander, 446th Airlift Wing, Joint Base Lewis-McChord, Wash.
Rating: Senior command pilot
Flight Hours: More than 9,000
Aircraft Flown: T-37, T-38, T-41, C-9, C-141, KC-10, C-17
MAJOR AWARDS AND DECORATIONS
Legion of Merit
Meritorious Service Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Medal with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Commendation Medal
Joint Meritorious Unit Award with one oak leaf cluster
Air Force Outstanding Unit Award with six oak leaf clusters
Air Force Organizational Excellence Award with one oak leaf cluster
National Defense Service Medal
Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal
Southwest Asia Campaign with two stars
Kosovo Campaign Medal
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Saudi Arabian Government)
Kuwait Liberation Medal (Kuwait Government)
EFFECTIVE DATES OF PROMOTION
Second Lieutenant May 29, 1981
First Lieutenant May 29, 1983
Captain May 29, 1985
Major May 29, 1995
Lieutenant Colonel Sept. 29, 2000
Colonel Feb. 2, 2007